Six weeks old as a family. That seems like it should be a milestone of some kind. At this point in traditional new families is right about when parents look at their little bundle adoringly and think "yep..I think we'll keep'm" (as if sending them back is an option!) I think he is a definate keeper!!
 |
| One of a gazillion smooches he gets every day |
In six weeks Isaac has gained two pounds, grown an inch & a half, and added five new teeth (what a little protein will do!). Just this week he has added three more signs to his communication arsenal and blew his developmental assessment out of the water! We met with a speech & occupational therapist and for nearly two hours they tested Isaac's communication, feeding, motor skills and cognitive development. They were quite impressed with his signing and walking, but were floored by his cognitive skills. The OT kept giving Isaac advanced tests to find a ceiling by which to judge his skills. "Don't by concerned, he's not supposed to be able to do this skill...Oh my! He knows how to do that! OK...um...let's try something different. Well look at that! He can do that too. Huh, we'll just have to get creative, won't we?" I wish I could have translated the look in Isaac's eyes because they clearly were stating "Come on ladies, shape sorters & puzzles are for sissies!". I took the opportunity to shock the therapists a little when I pulled out my phone and Isaac opened up a couple of apps..some with horizontal swipes, others with vertical swipes. The therapists just looked at each other. "Well now. We don't have a box to check for that!" Needless to say, we rocked that assessment!! We'll go back in a week for the full report, but I am joyful in knowing that Isaac will have so many resources to help him succeed...and that he'll be the smartest kid in the class!! (I didn't say that. I'm sure the other kids are delightful).
In China we discovered that Isaac didn't know how to play. He would sit & watch us and interact well, but when it came to toys or creative exploration he just didn' t know what do to. He'd take things out of a drawer and put them back, but that was the extent of 'fun time'. I've been spending a lot of time with him on the floor (we desperately need new carpet padding!) and slowing introducing new toys in hopes he'd find one Isaac likes. His cousin Magdalene came to the rescue this week with a musical panda...he loves it!! He drags it around the house, pushing the buttons and dancing to the music. It's super cute! One day this week I found both Isaac AND the panda
IN the Tupperware drawer after a few minutes alone. What a duo! In fact, I've 'caught' Isaac playing with his toys several times this week. He'll go up to 20minutes with books and stackers on the floor. It is intentional play and creative problem solving. From across the room I can see him trying to figure things out. Well done, sweet boy! You are figuring life out!
 |
| His favorite little friend |
 |
| Catching up on some reading |
 |
| A book of Chinese nursery rhymes...apparently he knew these already. |
This next week will be a busy one with medical appointments every day of the week, including the cardiologist. I'm praying for wisdom for each of his medical team to know how to best care for the little body God gave Isaac. I'm sure there will be more than enough to report on next Sunday. :) Until then, a few photos from our week.
 |
| Playing peek-a-boo in the back yard |
 |
Blurry, but you can see how fast he is getting around on his own now.
I can't get the camera away fast enough! |
 |
| An afternoon field trip to the beach with our friends the Hagmans |
 |
| I assume this is his first experience with sand, but he knew what to do...it went straight into his mouth! |
 |
It's hard to tell, but he was jumping & splashing in the COLD Puget Sound.
This boy LOVES water. |
 |
| Just look at my happy boy! |
No comments:
Post a Comment