Saturday, October 26, 2013

Chopsticks

     We are a multi-ethnic family: I am a first generation American, the daughter of a Dutch immigrant. My son is a naturalized American, born in South central China.  I am tall, pale, have a creative flare and am genetically frugal with money.  I also can not use chopsticks. (Serious put-your-eye-out-material when it comes to eating with sticks.)  The real question of the household is then...can my son use chopsticks?? 
   I brought home Chinese food last night & busted out the sticks...training & real to see what would happen.  The results scared me!
He started with a dip-lick approach with the training chopsticks
(I'm awesome with training chopsticks, by the way. Brought them with me to China to show off my skills...that didn't last long.)


 
It did NOT take long for him to grab the REAL chopsticks.
Mind you...he has never seen me use them.
He is pulling all his skills from what I imagine he saw the first 20months of his life.

Two hand approach with the sticky-rice was valiant but not so successful...
 
One handed!
(Note the FORK in my bowl)

Look at him go!!!
Mission accomplished!!

SOOOOO excited!
Eating just like China Momma does!
I can't tell you how blasted excited I am of my tiny Asian boy. Yes, that he has the fine motor skills to master chopsticks is fantastic,  but also that he has an entire nature-based person inside of him that I still get to discover. That his birth parents & China Momma made a real impact on who he is awesome!  He will grow to have many of my quirks & attributes solely based on nurture, but there (apparently) a whole bunch of incredible in there that I'll get to take no credit for.  Chopsticks are clearly one of those things!
 
“Man who catch fly with chopstick capable of anything.”   
― The Karate Kid

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered Addie several sets of chopsticks from Amazon! They have "beginners" sets...ahem.��

    ReplyDelete