Monday, January 19, 2015

The Last Three Weeks

Well, January kinda flew by without my permission. The first week or so was relatively quite, despite being diagnosed with severe anemia again. (Seems I like to start my years off right!). More iron infusions are on their way. Then I came down with THE influenza.  Not just the sniffles and a tummy bug. The eight-days-flat-on-your-back-mommy-please-hold-me-influenza.  It was BAD and I kinda hate the dude at the CDC that screwed up this year's flu vaccine. I am, however, SO VERY thankful for my mother who came and stayed at our house, Lysol-ed the entire structure, lovingly took care of Isaac, made sure I didn't die, AND continued to work her own job full time. I seriously wouldn't have made it without her.  As I was quarantined for five of those eight days it was the first time Isaac had been away from me for more than 12 hours. I was deeply concerned about his little heart, but the timing of his recent unwavering trust of Gramma could not have been more perfect. Thank you Lord!  

Isaac continues to stay healthy (Hallelujah!), and just this week the literacy light flipped on in his little noggin. We practice the alphabet all the time and Wheel Of Fortune for letter learning has been a part of our evening routine for some months. But this week he seemed to figure out that letters make words...specifically the letters on Momma's Old Navy t-shirt that she wears to bed actually says something. AND if you put the right letters together it spells...ISAAC!  I can't tell you how stinking exciting this is. Reading can be difficult for many with Down syndrome and I've been determined that we would be successful in jumping that hurdle...honestly, I thought we were still a year or two away from any success.  Seems, my little boy has other plans. For days he's been singing (and signing) "Eye. S. A! A! C. Isaac". It makes my heart simply beam.  

He also has a new interest in cars and dirt (kind of...wait for the photos below) and wrestling. I love seeing my boy be a boy and I've been trying to find ways to encourage boyhood.  Today we went and played in the park, chased the ducks, found cool sticks and...fell in the mud. That was fun for about four steps in the puddle without a shoe.  :)















Winter in the Pacific Northwest 


 He biffed it in a mud puddle, lost a shoe and got water up his nose. He handled it surprisingly well, but you can see the progression of: Akk, get me out of here. Wait, where is my shoe??  Mom!  I'M DONE!!!!!!!!


*hehe*
I'm so very happy I'm the mommy he gets to freak out at when he is covered in mud.
He got to ride home half naked and while eating Chinese crackers.
All is well in the world.


My handsome little boy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment