Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Toothfairy

Back in June, at his regular dental visit, Isaac's dentist mentioned with all the casualness as if he was telling me the sky was blue "...and his front tooth his loose...".  I remember doing a literally double take---WAIT. WHAT?!  I have zero clue why that little dental factoid took me by such surprise. He came to me with just three teeth. I was present and armed with Tylenol for the next 16 teeth coming through. Teeth coming and going is kind of a normal kid thing. And at nearly 7 years old, you'd think I would have been prepared for a tooth or two falling out.   Whatever...I wasn't emotionally prepared that day. 

I didn't mention the tooth to Isaac as to not cause any undue worry. Fast forward to two weeks ago, when Isaac realized the tooth was REALLY loose while we were in the middle of the grocery story.  "MOMMA!  BAN-AID!  BAN-AID!  TEEF. BAN-AID PEEESE"  Poor kiddo nearly had a panic attack in the middle of aisle 8.  I held him and reassured him and quickly made our way home to a social story about loosing teeth and an episode of Peppa Pig & the tooth fairy.  I brought out a tooth fairy pillow I had tucked away for such an occasion and talked about how only BIG BOYS get new teeth, and how EXCITING this is--REALLY exciting, right Isaac??  He looked at me like I was about to push him down the stairs...

Tonight we were doing our regular 500th loose-tooth-check-of-the-day when he let me wiggle it a bit harder...then a little bit harder. And when I asked him "do you want the tooth of fall out now?"  he nodded vigorously...



Not four minutes later...the tooth gone and a nervous little boy wondering why in the world his momma is NOT freaking out about part of his face falling off.  It took some convincing, a lot of hugs, and two popsicles for him to agree that he is OFFICIALLY a BIG BOY.  He did it!  Way. To. Go!!

Starting to warm up to the idea...

I prepared for this event several weeks ago, finding the perfect Isaac tooth pillow...but then I panicked tonight and told him to hang it from the front door so the tooth fairy could find it.  ????  So there it is...waiting for the tooth fairy...on the front door (because that is normal). 


 Thankfully, our local tooth fairy knows that cash means nothing in our household and super balls ARE THE BOMB. Also dental hygiene is key to a successful future.


So there it is. My son lost his first tooth. A huge childhood milestone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment