Saturday, September 16, 2023

Summer Adventures 2023

Summer looked different this year. Our move from Sweet Street in early June and subsequent check-in at Hotel Gramma derailed our typical summer road trip plans while we waited for the provision of our new house.  We took advantage of a plethura of day trips around the Puget Sound and a smattering of hotel staycations: 

FORT FLAGLER. Less than 2 hours from our home on Morrowstone Island, protected our nation through both WWs and the Korean War. This is a hidden gem in the PNW that I wish we had known about sooner!













WOODLAND PARK ZOO. Isaac and I haven't been in years and this was the first trip for Mila!







VENARDOS CIRCUS. This is an animal-free Broadyway style circus that comes to town every year. It's our second year and I bet we'll go again next year--so much fun!





We really liked the foot juggler!








LONG BEACH, WA.  A spontaneous overnight to the SW Washington Coast.  The World's Longest Beach is here and is also listed as a certified WA State Hwy. All rules of the road are supposed to be followed, but we took liberty with any potential road rule that prevented chasing down a flock of seaguls at 30mph!  (I've not added the video that includes my maniacal laugh!)




The day Google tried to kill us!

Beach sunsets are the best sunsets <3 

Exploring the Discovery Trail:





Not sure how it got started but arcade games at the beach are a thing in our family.  Mila discovered driving and enjoyed it FAR more than her virtual 154mph WHILE ON FIRE driving should allow! 🤯


And Isaac bested the strongarm!

I nerded out when we discovered the Lewis & Clark tree, engraved by Captain Lewis to commerate the end of their search for the Pacific Ocean. 



Clark documented the marking of this tree in his journal, saying:

“…I proceeded on the Sandy Coast 4 miles, and marked my name on a Small pine, the Day of the month & Year…”



My kids were not impressed... 🤪

BOWLING & PARKS & WALKS AND BASEBALL GAMES:









DOWN SYNDROME SUMMER DANCE:
Going dancing has quickly become one of our favorite activities for all three of us. It's one of the few (only?) social activities that I do not need to interpret, assist, guide, translate or arrange accomodation  for my kids. I can literally sit back and let them dance their brains out.  They are with friends just like them and probably more importantly a line of wallflower adults that know exactly how to engage my kids while I do the same with theirs.  It's a refreshing fun filled evening for us all followed by a very good night's sleep!









ANDERSON ISLAND FERRY:












No comments:

Post a Comment