Friday, July 28, 2017

5 Year Cardiology Visit

Nearly 5 years ago, in a sweaty, unbelievably humid hotel room, 23 floors above the city of Guiyang, China I discovered my brand new son was the proud owner of a big ol' heart murmur (that's the official medical term).  Heart issues are not uncommon in children with Down syndrome, so like a good medical momma I came prepared, despite being told specifically multiple times my future son did NOT have any cardiac issues.  I remember the face I tried to hide as I held my little boy and listened to the swoosh-swoosh of his tiny heart instead of the expected lub-dub: dang it, he's going to need surgery...and soon. 

Isaac didn't know any different. For 20 months his little heart swooshed away trying desperately to get all the oxygenated blood where it needed to go. But he would fatigue quickly, often stopping mid activity to flop forward or backward or sideways or crossways to catch his breath...giggling through it all. <3

His surgery was done just 4 months after coming home. It was quick and easy by heart surgery standards. We were home that evening with only a scar and large bandage in his groin. I remember laying him to bed that night thinking...he has a new heartbeat tonight; everything starts fresh now.  And it did!  He put on 5 pounds almost immediately. Started walking and really hasn't stopped moving in the 4 & 1/2 years since we got him patched up!

I don't think about his heart often. There is no 'zipper' down his chest like many of our little friends to remind me that his heart was born broken. It doesn't effect our day to lives. There are no medication or precautions. I only have to remember to add it to his surgery history when asked.  In fact, we hadn't even been to the pediatric cardiologist for three years (per their recommendations, not my lack of compliance).  But today, as Isaac laid perfectly still for his EKG and echo and examination I was forced to remember that day in the Chinese hotel room...

What if he hadn't been adopted?
What if the murmur hadn't had been found?
What if his heart hadn't had been fixed?
HOW would he be now?
WHERE would he be now?

It was a flood of reality while listening to the very clear LUB-DUB of his heart during his echo today.
Followed by a wash of God's promises:

He is our Protector
He is our Healer
He is our Comforter
He is our Savior
He is our Future
He is our Hope
Amen!


Our sweet cardiologist gave Isaac a glowing assessment; thoroughly impressed with how well his heart is doing...and his ability to monitor his own heart rate (he counted to 60!). 




We'll return in five more years for our next check!  "At some point," said the cardiologist with a smile, "we can just forget that he ever had any issues!"  

Oh, wouldn't that be awesome?!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment