You had a really good week at mini-camp with Isaac and Miss A. You even climbed through an elevated tree house play area, participated at the spray park, and spent 5 hours at the zoo walking and seeing 'aminals' without any fear. These are all huge victories! I am coming to terms that many things you've refused or been hesitant to do with me, you'll probably do with your peers. This makes sense in a lot of ways, but a bitter pill to swallow when we are walking through so many infant developmental stages WHILE helping you become a teenager at the same time. You liked telling me about all the 'aminals' you saw at the zoo, including the monkey that was black and not brown like Isaac's monkey on TV...ie, don't get your hopes up, Mom, if you think you are going to see Curious George at the Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, because he is definitely not there, I checked. Also, there are only POLAR bears, not bear-bears, so jot that down too. *hard head nod* Got it. You told me all of this while brushing your hair at the dinner table like a typical teen, so you can imagine the brain spin my head is doing most days.
Separation anxiety has been hard this week, despite all our other victories. You don't like to NOT see me when we are supposed to be doing activities in the general vicinity. Taking out the garbage or folding the clothes in the other room usually leads to "Mom! MOM! Kush Mommy?! (where are you?!) Whining has become a thing too when you can see me but not get to me quick enough. There is a lot of pulling you close and telling you you are safe, Mommy is here even when we aren't touching. There is also a lot of big breaths on my part reminding myself that this is normal for a 9-12 month old child, and you'll grow out of it soon.
One thing that you excelled at this week, was acting as door hostess for Gramma's big birthday bash! Big unstructured events are a bit of a nightmare for your brother, but you seem to thrive in them. You greeted every guest with a big smile and a chorus of "Nice to meetch you! Sss Gramma Happy Birthday!" You chatted freely on the couch with Gramma's friends and gave every guest a hug before they left. You did such a great job--I'm so proud of you!
Chatting it up with Ms. Diane:
Isaac:
I was all set to write that you've had another rough week--easily overwhelmed, cranky, not listening, yelling all the time. I even wrote to my momma friends that I was putting you through a Definition of No Boot Camp and hoped it only lasted one week "haha". Buuuuutttt, then today at a regular check for your ears we discovered that not only did you have a wicked infection in both sides, you had an abscess in your right ear. A freaking abscess! Your behavior change 10-12 days ago was the only clue and I had been trying to parent it out of you. *facepalm* When I pulled you close to me after your appointment today and asked "do you have owies in your ears??", your eyes widened like I had FINALLY heard what you had been trying to tell me "momma. yes! owies. ears". Oh, buddy. I'm so sorry. I had no idea. Even after 7 years and ALL THOSE ear infections you had in the past, you'd think I'd have this down, but apparently I am still learning to read you. I can't promise to get it right all the time, but I do promise to keep learning...
Cranky & crashed out before I knew about your poor ears:
The crazy-buzy two week block has come to an end, for which I am thankful. I did find the time through it all to rupture a calf muscle which has forced some slowness into my week via a clunky walking boot. I'm still coming up with an attractive back story but a competitive salsa dancing injury has the most votes thus far. Rescuing a pregnant woman from an escaped tiger at the zoo is a close second. Running up a slide-hill with my kids is no where on the list.
We have this next week off for a mini vacation at the beach before my new clinic opens and the kiddos go back to school. It's strange to think that I'll be putting up my fall decor in the next few weeks and then it will be a hop-skip-jump into the holidays. How does it all go so stinking fast??



No comments:
Post a Comment